Delivery Trip – Delaware to Cape May, Then Wait

posted in: Boating | 0

Saturday, October 26th was overcast but not too cold. After a little engine maintenance (changing fuel filters), we were ready to leave Chesapeake City. We needed to consider the Delaware Bay current, but we also needed to get to Cape May before dark. Our best option appeared to be a departure around 9 am. So we left at 8:25 am knowing we would have the current against us in the beginning and at the end.

Out into the Chesapeake-Delaware Canal. Been there, done this, no real worries.
Muted autumn color on the canal. Not much sunshine today.
Sighting two C-D bridges
The bridge is a pretty bright blue color as we look back at it.

There’s not much to say about the Delaware Bay that I haven’t already written about on four previous passages. It’s not my favorite stretch, you just have to get through it. At the beginning we were still bucking the current, traveling at only 6.6 knots. At 11:00 am we had passed over to the east side of the bay, outside the shipping lanes, and our speed increased to 7-7.5 knots. From 11:30 am until 2:00 pm our speed jumped to a constant 9.7 – 10 knots with assistance from the current and a little boost to 2000 rpms.

Obligatory photos of working boats and cargo ships.
We passed some pleasure boats, always going in the opposite directions (Yes, we are the oddballs at this time of year.) The top boat has a unique configuration. The bottom boat is one of many Canadian boats we saw, heading south to escape the Northern winter cold.
Well, look at this! Our first Kadey Krogen sighting (as Krogen owners.) Dream On is heading north on the bay and presumably south for the long haul. We waved out our pilot house doors.

We snapped a couple of photos of lighthouses when the thought occurred to us to do so.

Ship John Shoal viewed from our pilot house window.
Ship John Shoal Light was named after the Ship “John,” which wrecked in 1787 near the site of the present structure. The iron superstructure was placed in position as a permanent structure in 1877.
Miah Maull Shoal Lighthouse commemorates Nehemiah Maull, “a river pilot who was drowned in 1780 when the ship in which he intended to sail to England in order to make a claim on an inheritance was wrecked on the then-unnamed shoal.” Construction of the lighthouse between 1909-1913 took so long because of financial issues.
I have discovered the perfect place for weaving! I get to watch everything and weave along.

At 3:00 pm, our speed began to drop as the current turned on us. 7.4 kts …. 7 kts ….. 6.7 kts. Oh well, we had a good run for awhile.

Cape May Canal ahead!
Our timing was good – we passed the ferry terminal without any ferries departing or entering.
This fishing boat sped right passed us on the canal, carrying what looked like a good day’s haul.

Arrived at Utsch’s Marina and were all tied up in a slip by 4:30 pm. 58.3 nm, 8 hours.

Utsche’s gives transients a gift bag with informational flyers, a bottle of wine, biscotti and handmade soap. The biscotti were tasty, the soap looks fine, but I have my doubts about the wine. Still, a very nice gesture.

We are settling in for a two-night stay to wait out a weather front that looks fierce – rain and high winds. We probably need a rest day as well.

Captain Al has many manuals to study. I think this boat will keep him busy and out of trouble for a long time to come. LAST boat, remember????

We slept well and we slept late, past 7:30 am!! There was simply no reason to get up and rush.

It’s raining…… the rainwater is pouring out of the downspout on the flybridge. And the wind was “blowing a houlie,” as our UK friend Sue always declared.

A rainy day is a good day for chores. This little Kadey Krogen has a washer/dryer. Yes, a washer/dryer! Once upon a time I would have considered that an unnecessary luxury, but life changes and sometimes you see things differently. I wear heavy custom compression stockings 24/7 to control my lymphedema and they are supposed to be washed DAILY. How nice to be able to do this onboard.

My first use of the washer. The cycle took 70 minutes but it beats doing it by hand!

After hours of dreary rain and heavy winds, the sun pushed it all aside. It was even warm, a condition I certainly did not expect on this trip. We needed to stretch our legs and decided to take a walk for ice cream.

YELP told me this was the nearest ice cream and that it was open. When we got there Dry Dock was clearly closed for the season – see the little red sign in the window on the left? Such disappointment.
At least we got a nice walk and found ice cream at the Wawa. Satisfied!

Before and after dinner we studied currents, winds, and waves for the 115 offshore nautical miles we need to travel tomorrow. We considered various scenarios for the best time to leave. I have done this NJ coast leg three times and Al has done it five, but it’s still one of the toughest legs of the journey.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *